News and Insights
Cross-Border Internal Investigations: Online Seminar with Frank Wohl and Gabi Friedman
EventMay 27, 2021Lawline.com
On May 27, 2021, LSW partners Frank Wohl and Gabrielle Friedman were pleased to present a CLE seminar on strategic and ethical issues in cross-border investigations, designed for in-house counsel and outside attorneys for corporations and individuals.
The program focuses on the ethical duties and unique strategic considerations that arise in cross-border corporate investigations of conduct that occurred partly or entirely outside the United States. Noting the steady increase in international investigations due to a globalizing economy, Frank and Gabi gave special attention to:
- Aggressive exercise of US jurisdiction over conduct abroad;
- Strategies to employ when witnesses and documents are located in foreign countries;
- Limitations on the ability of US lawyers to engage in investigative activities in foreign jurisdictions;
- Preservation of privileges in the cross-border environment when witness interviews take place overseas;
- US legal restrictions and ethical requirements applicable to US lawyers representing foreign clients; and
- Complying with and taking advantage of foreign blocking statutes and data privacy laws.
Lawline sponsored the program and has made it available on demand.